
Yesterday was a gorgeous day with a beautiful clear blue sky. Christine, Elizabeth, and I met at one of the markets in town to enjoy the day. The French love to use the phrase, "profiter du soleil" (to take advantage of, to benefit from the sun,) so we thought we'd be French and do just that! We perused aisles upon aisles of fragrant pears, clementines, raspberries, cheeses, beans, apples, mushrooms, flowers, and butchers’ stands with lovely looking fresh cuts of meat.

Delicious clementines with their stems still attached!
With our market-fresh lunches packed, we headed across the bridge to begin our first climb up to the Bastille. Here's the link to a website with some great pictures of the Bastille. (You can click the English version in the upper right hand corner.)
It was quite the hike! There is a rather steep incline and it took us about an hour to get to the top. We ate our lunches as we looked down at the city, trying to point out our neighborhoods, the university, and buildings we know downtown.
The view of the city was incredible and it was nice to get some exercise and breathe in some fresh mountain air.

3 comments:
Hey Michelle! It's your cousin Emily! You must be having an amazing experience on your French journey. The pictures are really beautiful and I enjoy reading all your entries about your daily adventures. You've really inspired me to go to France someday because the views look fabulous, you're learning so much, and you're having such a great experience!
Ayez l'amusement, Michelle!!!
-Emily
Michelle, the pictures from your hike to the Bastille look great. What a wonderful way to get some exercise.
I look forward to walking and biking outside again when our weather warms up. (Looks like I will have to wait until April.)
Hey Michelle!
I just wanted to say thanks for including me in your email home. I was excited to read your blog. I'm so jealous of how much fun you must be having.
Good luck with everything! I can't wait to hear more stories.
Claire
Post a Comment